- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold butter, cut into small squares (12-16)
- 1/2 cup raisins or dried currents
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or yogurt (I use Oikos vanilla) - if you use yogurt add 2 tbsp milk
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Put flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt in a a food processor. Pulse a couple of times to bland. Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Put mixture in a bowl. Add yogurt and milk (or buttermilk) and mix until just combined. Turn onto a floured surface and knead 5-6 times. Pat into an 8" disk. Cut with a 2" biscuit cutter or a glass into rounds. Transfer into a baking sheet and bake 13-15 minutes.
- Serve at room temperature or slightly warm with clotted cream or mascarpone cheese with jam and butter. I prefer them with whipped cream and honey.
Some people brush the scone tops with milk and sprinkle sugar on them.