Tres Leches Cake
- • 1 cup all-purpose flour
- • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- • 1/4 tsp salt
- • 5 eggs (large)
- • 1 cup sugar divided into 3/4 and 1/4 cups
- • 1 tsp vanilla extract
- • 1/3 cup whole milk
- • 12 oz evaporated milk
- • 9 oz sweetened condensed milk (2/3 of a 14 oz can)
- • 1/3 cup whipping cream
- • 2 cups whipping cream
- • 4 Tbsp powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F and butter a 9x13 casserole pan. Set up three mixing bowls.
- In a large bowl, sift together 1 cup flour, 1 1/2 tsp baking powder, and 1/4 salt. Separate egg whites and yolks into the other two bowls.
- Beat egg yolks with 3/4 cup sugar with an electric mixer on high speed, until yolks are a pale yellow (2 minutes). Stir in 1/3 cup milk and 1 tsp vanilla.
- Beat egg whites on high speed until soft peaks form (1 minute). With the mixer on, pour in remaining 1/4 cup sugar and beat on high speed until egg whites are stiff but not dry (1 minute)
- Pour egg yolk mixture over the flour mixture and combine gently with a spatula.
- Gently fold in egg white mixture with the spatula until just combined. Pour batter into prepared pan and spread to even out the surface and bake at 350ÚF for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- For the 3-Milk Syrup:
- In a large measuring cup (or a bowl with a pouring lip), combine 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream, 12 oz evaporated milk and 9 oz condensed milk. When the cake is cool, pierce the surface all over with a fork. Slowly drizzle the milk mixture over the cake.
- To Make the Whipped Cream Frosting:
- Pour 2 cups cold heavy whipping cream and 2 Tbsp sugar into a large chilled mixing bowl and beat on high speed 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or until thick, whipped and spreadable. Spread over the cake with a spatula.