Chewy Ginger (Molasses) Cookies
- • 2 and 1/4 cups (280g) all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
- • 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- • 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- • 1 and 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- • 1/4 teaspoon salt
- • 3/4 cup (170g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- • 1/2 cup (100g) packed light or dark brown sugar
- • 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
- • 1/4 cup (60ml) unsulphured or dark molasses
- • 1 large egg, at room temperature
- • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- • 1/3 cup (67g) granulated or coarse sugar, for rolling
- Whisk the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and salt together until combined. Set aside.
- In a large bowl using a hand-held or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and both sugars together on high speed until creamy and combined, about 2 minutes. Add the molasses and beat until combined. Then add the egg and vanilla extract and beat until combined, about 1 minute. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
- On low speed, slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until combined. The cookie dough will be slightly sticky. Cover dough tightly with aluminum foil or plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour and up to 2-3 days.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. (Always recommended for cookies.) Set aside.
- Remove cookie dough from the refrigerator. If the cookie dough chilled longer than 2 hours, let it sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes. The cookies may not spread in the oven if the dough is that cold. Roll cookie dough, 1 Tablespoon each, into balls. Roll each in granulated sugar and arrange 3 inches apart on the baking sheets. Bake for 11-12 minutes or until edges appear set. If the tops aren’t appearing cracked as pictured, remove the baking sheet from the oven and gently bang it on the counter 2-3x. This will help those warm cookies spread out and crack on top. Return to the oven for 1 additional minute.
- Remove from the oven and allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Cookies will stay fresh covered at room temperature for 1 week.