Welsh Bara Brith
WELSH BARA BRITH
- 1 cup mixed golden and dark raisins
- 1/2 cup crystallized ginger, chopped
- 1 cup hot tea
- 4 tbsp orange marmalade
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 oz. butter, melted
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 lb self-rising flour (I use Gold Medal)
- Soak the dried fruit in the hot tea overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Mix all ingredients well (wet ingredients first, then add the flour). Put in a baking loaf and bake 1 hours to 1 1/4 hours until the break is fully baked through.
Some people like to spread orange marmalade on the hot bread. I prefer whipped cream when cooled off. Dick prefers butter at any time