Pheasant in Wild Mushroom Sauce
- • 2 Whole skinless legs and skinless breast of Pheasant., 2 of each-legs and breast.
- • 1 Tablespoon butter-divided
- • 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive Oil
- • 3/4 Cup whole pearl onions, Or 1/2 diced yellow onions
- • 2 cloves garlic, minced
- o 1 tbsp flour
- o 14 ozs can diced tomatoes
- • 1 lb sliced mushrooms
- • 1 /2 cup Maderia
- • 1 Cup chicken broth (I put one cube chicken and one cube beef)
- • 1/3 Cup fresh herbs: thyme, rosemary, oregano
- • 1 tsp. salt , as needed to rub the meat
- • 1 tsp. pepper, as needed to rub the meat
- Skin the pheasant and quarter, salt and pepper
- Preheat a Dutch oven (OR Le Crueset) on your stove to medium heat.
- Add 1 Tablespoon olive oil and 1 tbsp butter
- Add 2 Tablespoons butter and stir until melted.
- Sear the pheasant pieces well. Remove from the Dutch oven and put the onion in.
- Brown the onion, add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add flour and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add 1 can diced tomatoes and scrape pan and stir in the bits. Mix well. Add chicken stock, madeira and herbs. Cover and bake at 325F for 2 hours.
- Melt the remaining 1 tbsp butter and add in the mushrooms. Stir occasionally and cook 5 minutes on high heat, stirring, uncovered. You want the mushrooms to be a little drown., covered, until partially cooked.
- Add mushrooms to Dutch oven after 1.5 hours.
- Serve from the pot.
I love wild rice blend with this dish.