- • 5 lbs of Mona Lisa or Yukon Gold potatoes
- • 2 cups fresh cream
- • 2 cups milk
- • 2 cloves garlic
- • 6 pinches of grated nutmeg
- • 2 oz unsalted butter
- • salt, white pepper
- Peel the potatoes, rinse and dry them. Cut them into thin slices (1/8" thick).
- Peel the garlic cloves, reserve one and chop the other. Bring the cream and milk to the boil. Lightly salt and pepper, add nutmeg, chopped garlic clove and potatoes. Cook for 10 minutes over moderate heat then let stand at room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. With the whole clove of garlic, rub a gratin dish and butter it.
- Arrange the potatoes in even layers in the dish and cover them with the cream + milk mixture. To finish, sprinkle the rest of butter cut into small pieces.
- Place in the oven for about 50 minutes until the gratin is golden brown. Let it rest for 10 minutes before serving.